==== tattY teddY's taLe ====

Monday, July 14, 2003

Grandfather Is Dying

I eventually went back to Segamat on Saturday. It was nerve-wrecking. In the morning, Daddy said that Grandfather was in stable condition and looked better than the day before. Suddenly, come afternoon, Mummy was desperate to arrange for me to go back to Segamat. One of my cousin sisters, Chui jie jie called me and told me that "Gong gong has no hope", and that she would fetch me to Segamat. What do you mean "no hope"? How could this be? He was fine in the morning! Daddy called me back to confirm the transportation arrangement, he told me, and I just cried at that point.

Grandfather was fine earlier on, but there was a sudden change in the afternoon. The Doctor called the family to go over to the hospital. He told them that Grandfather's blood pressure was very low. He's anemic. He discharged Grandfather, told them to bring him home and to "be prepared". Be prepared for what?? How can the doctor just discharge him like that? Couldn't he think of something to save him? So we're supposed to, like, bring him home and wait until his heart and lungs fail???

I couldn't think straight then. I couldn't even drive properly. Luckily sayang took over the wheel.. I packed as soon as I could, Chui jie jie fetched me and we hit the highway 1 hour later. Throughout the journey, I kept praying that if Grandfather is really "going", please let us see him for the final time, please let him see us for one last time. By the time I reached Segamat, my relatives were there. I went to see him in the room. He was sleeping. He looked so fragile and weak. But he could still talk, could still recognize us, he was just very, very weak. Grandfather looked better yesterday, though. Thank God! Yet I still can't accept the fact why the doctor just want to discharge him just like that. Aren't doctors not supposed to give up even till the last minute?

We came back home last afternoon. At least we knew Grandfather was OK at the moment. But we're leaving our mobile phones switched on, put the house's ringing tone to Loud. If anytime any of our relatives call about Grandfather, we'll head back to Segamat straight away. I don't know when is he "going".. I don't want to know.. I don't want to see him go.....