==== tattY teddY's taLe ====

Friday, November 05, 2004

Sharing Birthdays

I blew off a birthday candle about half an hour ago. Colleagues celebrated the November babies' birthdays with a Chocolate Banana Walnut cake (or something of that sort) from, as always, Secret Recipe. I don't know if this is coz their factory is just BESIDE our office. Imagine going to the toilet/pantry and you suddenly get a swiff of the cake-baking or lasagne smell from next door... Hehehe..

Anyway. there were 4 of us this month - me, Yoke Chin, Ms. Hee and Henry. It was fun to know that Ms. Hee shares the same birthdate as me (but different year lar). Ever since I was born, I knew no one whose birthday falls on 27th Nov. Back then, it made me feel unique that way.. Until 1997..

Winnie was my classmate during SAM. She sat in front of me (or was it behind me?) on the first day of college, and she was probably the first few ppl I got to know of in class. I remember taking out my organizer and passed it to her, to fill in her personal details, like full name, address, date of birth, phone number, etc. I read her details after she handed the organizer back to me. I saw "2711" on the date of birth. I stopped there and I probably blinked a few times then. I thought I was imagining things or that she was joking with me. I remember asking her to show me her I.C to prove it. Hehehe. And true enough, she really shares the same birthdate as me! Exactly same date, same month, same year! Except that she was about 5 hours older than me. It made my birthday feel more special, coz I get to share it with someone! ;)

Winnie became my "Jie Jie" (elder sister). And I got to know from her that another friend, Roland was born about 7 hours later than me. Wow! Now that makes it 3 of us! Even more fun! *grin* Winnie and I did celebrate our 18th birthday together. It was at PD, during our class trip, in which after that, we all parted to each own's directions in life. I truly remember that celebration. We were having barbeque by the beach. When the clock striked midnight to mark the 27th, everyone attacked the both of us - Flour, eggs, sand, even the dirty water they used for the barbeque (that was already mixed with the marinate ingredients, and to wash the utensils). You name it, we got it. Thank goodness no durians involved! *lol* We ended up cleaning ourselves at the nearby public toilet, and we had a bit of a trouble going back to the apartment, coz we were still filled with sand all over. BUT, it was fun. ;)

Then about half an hour before 28th, we were presented a lingerie fashion show with Ming Hui and Hochai. Gosh.. You should have seen them that time. 2 straight guys parading around the apartment wearing satin lingeries with egg carton cardboards as 'breasts' with pointy 'Nips' and heart-shaped papers stuck on their 'breasts' and thighs. *lol* Sorry, Hochai, I can't help it. ;) And then came our birthday cake - Half of a watermelon! I'm not kidding. Watermelon, indeed. The watermelon was initially planned for dessert. They all tried going around town searching for a birthday cake, but they couldn't find any, so they resorted to using the watermelon as our birthday cake, with candles lit on it. *smile*


It was realllllly fun. A truly memorable 18th birthday. Yes, Winnie, that was 7 years ago. We talked about it recently during one of our daily MSN chats, and yes, it would be lovely if we can get to celebrate our 25th birthdays together as well. :) Since it's gonna fall on Saturday this year, hopefully we can arrange to meet up during that weekend?

It's really lovely (am I over-using this word here?) to share birthdays with someone especially if they're close to you. Even more so if they were born exactly on the same date as you, at the same hospital. Too bad Winnie nor Roland weren't from the same place as me. Soo Wai was born 1 day earlier than me, in the same hospital! We'd probably seen each other naked then. *grin*