==== tattY teddY's taLe ====

Friday, September 17, 2004

MS TechEd Malaysia 2004

The TechEd has finally ended! *Phew* A straight, 4 days of presentation sessions one after another, ranging from Developer tracks to Database Management, Security, etc. Seriously information overload!

The only sessions that I enjoyed most were the "DatagridView Control" by Brian Noyes and "Windows Passwords: Everything You Need to Know" by Jesper Johannson. The former session concentrated on ways to make use of the new control which is included in the coming Visual Studio 2005, how database details can be reported in grid format, how the columns can be hidden and rearranged in real-time. Definitely something that I will use in all my applications, that is if Elid is willing to dish out $$ for VS 2005. The latter session was pretty interesting and entertaining, besides the fact that it was held in the Audittorium, where the seats look like the ones in the cinemas, it was oh so comfy! The session focused on how people can easily hack into account passwords, how he managed to hack into a company's accounts while sipping coffee in Starbucks, and that everyone should put in more effort in choosing passwords (using passphrase, like, "I am very beautiful"). Hhm... I think I shall have to think of new passwords for my accounts now!

Venue wise, it was held in Palace of the Golden Horses, unlike the usual PWTC. The setting was lovely. The only problem was that going from a track venue to another was a bit of a hassle. It felt like as if we were going through a maze! Perhaps that's why when we were given a free TechEd bag each, there was a compass attached to one of the handles... For us to find our way around! *grin* Buffet lunches were better than the ones in PWTC, but the slack part was that this time, breakfast and snacks were not provided at all. All they served was just coffee, tea and water. *Sighz* I was so hungry the first day that I had to resort to buying a Snickers bar from the Golden Stable (souvenir shop), which cost me RM 3.90 than the usual RM 2.20 outside! *Damn* Learnt my lesson that for the next few days, I was well prepared with more Snickers bars, few rolls of Mentos grape and Sugus, all in 1 tiny plastic bag, carrying it everywhere I go. Hehehe.. I looked like an 'ah sam' lar. ;)

Apart from all that, I had the pleasure of meeting Kah Fui and his friend, Walter. Got to know Kah Fui through the MIND forums, when I posted a question on VB .Net, in which he replied and even sent me a sample code. It was from then that the friendship was created through MSN and it was great to finally meet him personally. He's basically my VB .Net mentor, always 'layan-ed' me whenever I threw him dumb questions about certain controls and coding and asked him what Stored Procedures and SOA are. He probably must be thinking what lousy this Software Engineer is, everything also don't know! Hehe.. He's pretty much influential in MIND, so I got some freebies from him, including a Microsoft Community glitter-tattoo sticker, which is now stuck onto the glass partition between me and Wilson. ;) Oh, apparently he might speak for next year's TechEd, so I'm looking forward to that!

As for events management, I heard it was very 'kelam-kabut' especially on the first day. Was quite suprised initially that they didn't use Crystal Edge's service this time, but Roots, Shoots and Froots's instead. I just wonder why MS don't get Techmex or Sirius (correct spelling?) since they've always handled MS' Event Partners Nights and other various MS events. I know this coz sayang used to work part-time for Techmex and Sirius.

Ah well.. Now that it has all ended (and I'm still grumbling why we couldn't get our TechNet attendee cards stamped like on every other TechEd events), it's gonna be back to work like usual...